Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Multi Post Day! Part 1: Yorkie Email Scam Update

So, last week I created a post talking about a scam email I received offering a Teacup Yorkie from Africa that was available "for free". Of course, it was a scam. After posting my angry rant, I did a quick Google search and found that:

1. It's not new - they've been doing this for a while
2. It's called the "Cameroon Puppy Scam".

Unfortunately, much like those scammy emails asking people to cash checks or accept wire transfers from Iraq War soldiers or some deceased person in a war torn country, this scam preys on the gullible person who throws caution to the wind even when an offer seems too good to be true.

Anywho, this update is because I didn't realize how much of a response that I would get from posting my reaction to the scam! I'm glad that there are people out there willing to do a little research and not accept something at face value. Apparently, quite a few Internet savvy people also received the scammy email - some who are active PetSmart users and others who aren't. As long as we continue to speak out and inform others about fraudulent activity like this, we ensure that one less person becomes the victim of a scam like the Teacup Yorkie/Cameroon Puppy Scam.

1 comment:

Scotty said...

Please consider providing link to www.AllScamsForum.com - Report All Scams Here. empowering people with information to protect themselves and others. Thanks!